Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for made purchases.
So many people love having a Honeywell Thermostat in their home, given that they are convenient and easy to use!
Many of these thermostats have a built-in Wi-Fi feature, which makes them so much more convenient for a homeowner.
However, many homeowners find it challenging to connect these Wi-Fi thermostats, as this process will often not work out the way you want it to.
Connecting your Honeywell Thermostat to your Wi-Fi will differ depending on what model of Honeywell Thermostat you have.
So, you will need to follow different steps than a homeowner with a different Honeywell Thermostat if you want to successfully install one into your home, and keep it connected to your network.
If you are currently experiencing any Wi-Fi connectivity issues, then you won’t need to contact the HVAC professionals just yet!
In this article, we will discuss how to fix the connectivity issues for various
Honeywell Thermostats, so you can get reconnected to the network in no time!
What Is A Honeywell Thermostat?
A Honeywell Thermostat is an electronic device considered to be a smart thermostat.
It allows you to control your heating or cooling system remotely from anywhere in the world.
It’s also known as a programmable thermostat because it has a user interface where you can set temperature settings for specific rooms within your house.
Why Is My Honeywell Thermostat Not Connecting To The Wi-Fi Network?
Your Honeywell Thermostat may not be connecting to the Wi-Fi network for a variety of reasons.
Let’s take a look at a few examples!
The first thing that could cause your Honeywell Thermostats to not connect to the Wi-Fi network is an outdated or missing password.
If you’ve forgotten your password, you’ll need to reset it.
Another reason why your Honeywell Thermostatic might not be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network could be because the device has been turned off by mistake
A third reason why your Honeywell Thermostatic might not be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network is that the WiFi network itself is having issues.
If you have tried everything but still cannot connect your Honeywell Thermostat to the Wi-Fi network, then there are steps you can take to get everything in working order again.
The First Step: Troubleshooting The Wi-Fi Connections.
This is a universal solution for all Honeywell Thermostats. It should be the first one you should try before moving on to other methods.
When it comes to troubleshooting an issue, it is best to begin with the simplest solution and if that does not work, begin searching for more complicated issues.
So, if you are unable to find your thermostat on the Wi-Fi network, you should try the following steps:
Check The Power
The first thing you should do is check the power of the smart thermostat.
Every single Honeywell Thermostat model (with Wi-Fi) has a feature that requires power supplied with the common wire (also known as the C wire.)
If there is no power in your thermostat, then you are experiencing a wiring issue, and it is best to call the HVAC professional to fix it.
Check The Wi-Fi Frequency
Next, you need to check the Wi-Fi frequency.
These Wi-Fi thermostats will only work on a 2.4GHz frequency (wireless), which the majority of Wi-Fi routers will be able to transmit.
For this step, you will need to check your router and configure it to transmit via this frequency. This should fix the Wi-Fi connectivity issues of the thermostat.
Check The Wireless Range
There is a limit in range when it comes to wireless signals, and they’re easily affected by barriers that will cause the signal to weaken.
These barriers can be physical or come from electromagnetic interference.
So, your Honeywell Thermostat can lose signal intermittently if it is at the edge of the range of the signal, or if there is any interface nearby.
To fix this issue, you should try and move the router so that it is close to the thermostat. Alternatively, you can try installing a Wi-Fi booster close to the thermostat.
Check The Router Firewall
Sometimes, the issue can lie with the firewall of the router.
In this instance, it is best to check that a connection between the thermostat and the Wi-Fi is being permitted by the firewall.
Try Switching It Off And On Again
We know this is a cliché saying, but it does sometimes fix the issue! You can attempt to restart the Wi-Fi router by switching it off and on again.
This may solve any issues the router is having with the Wi-Fi network, or any broadcasting signals it may have.
If your Honeywell Thermostat still won’t connect to the Wi-Fi even after trying these steps, then you will need to try something more specific to the thermostat you have at home.
Connecting Your Honeywell Thermostat To The Wi-Fi Network
Let’s check out the different Honeywell Thermostat models and how they can be connected to our respective Wi-Fi networks!
The 6000 And 8000 Series Thermostats
If you have a 6000 series thermostat, the first thing you need to do is check whether it can connect to the Wi-Fi or not.
Often, many 6000 series models will not be able to, and you can check yours by finding out the specific model number.
If your Honeywell Thermostat can connect to the Wi-Fi, then you will see a WF designation written next to its model number.
The 6000 series thermostats that have Wi-Fi capabilities are:
The 8000 series thermostats that have Wi-Fi capabilities are:
The 6000 Series Thermostat
Follow this method to reconnect your 6000 series thermostat to your Wi-Fi network!
- Hold down the arrow up and the “fan” button and about 10-15 seconds
- Then, hit “next” until you see “39” displayed on the screen. It should be to the left.
- Now, you should also see a number to the right of the thermostat screen. Press the down arrow until it reads “0”
- Once you have completed this step, tap “done”
- Now, you should see the Wi-Fi Setup, which will flash on the screen
The 8000 Series Thermostat
- First, you need to hit “system”
- Then, hold down the 2nd and 4th boxes (they should be blank) for about 10-15 seconds
- Now, press the up & down arrow, so you can change the left number, and it reads “0900”
- Then, press the up & down arrows, so you can change the right number to “0”
- Once you have completed these steps, tap “done”
- Now, you should see the Wi-Fi Setup option flashing on the screen of the thermostat.
Now, a smartphone, laptop, or another electronic device is required to finalize the setup process for both thermostats.
It would also be useful to have your Wi-Fi network password ready to go.
Use the following steps to complete the Wi-Fi connection process!
- Find the inventory of Wi-Fi networks
- You should see “NewThermostat_XXXXXX” displayed there. (The “X” here is representative of the different numbers that can be displayed)
- Connect your device to the network, and click “Home Network”, provided you are asked for the specific type of network.
- Now, you should be guided to the page for thermostat Wi-Fi set up. (If this does not work, type in http://192.168.1.1″ and you should be redirected there)
- On this setup page, you will be able to view all the networks that are available for the thermostat.
- Find your Wi-Fi network and click it
- Now, all should fill in the necessary fields to reconnect to the network.
- Click “connect”
- The thermostat should now reconnect to the Wi-Fi network! Please note that this can take around three minutes to process.
- You should see “connection success” on the thermostat after a successful connection. You will also be able to see the strength of the signal.
- After a minute, the thermostat display will go to its home screen, and you will see a prompt called “register at total connect”
- The final step is to register the thermostat at www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com. After registering, you will have complete remote access to the thermostat!
The 9000 Series Thermostat
Reconnecting your 9000 series Honeywell Thermostat to your Wi-Fi network could not be easier!
All you need to do is follow this simple method!
- Hit the “menu” option
- Hit “Wi-Fi Setup”
- Here, the thermostat starts scanning all the available Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity and show them to you
- Click your chosen network from this list
- Now, you will be presented with a place to enter the Wi-Fi password. Enter it and then tap “done”
- The thermostat should display “connection successful” on the screen
- Once you see this, hit “next”
- Now, the screen will show you the CRC and MAC of the thermostat
- Write these numbers down, they will be required at a later stage
- Now, go to your PC or another electronic device that can connect to the internet and type in www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com
- Register your Honeywell Thermostat here. You can now remotely access it via the internet!
The T5 And T6 Series Thermostat
To reconnect the T6 and T5 series thermostats to the Wi-Fi network, you’re better off downloading the Honeywell Home app, which you can find on both Google Play and the Apple App Store.
- Once you have created an account, you can follow these steps to reconnect your Wi-Fi!
- Hit “startup” on your thermostat
- Click “yes” to configure the Honeywell Thermostat
- Now, you need to go into the app and log into your account if required
- The app should begin to scan for your thermostat, and you will be able to find it on the “thermostat found” section of the app.
- Once you have found your thermostat, select it from this list.
- Once you have completed this step, the Honeywell Home app should connect to your thermostat, and you can begin to go through the steps to reconnect the thermostat to the Wi-Fi.
The T9 And T10 Series Thermostat
To connect your T10 or T9 Series thermostat to your Wi-Fi network, the first thing you need to do is enable your Wi-Fi network via the thermostat.
Once you have done that, check out the following steps to reconnect the thermostat to the Wi-Fi network!
The T9 Series
- Hit the “menu” button
- Scroll until you find the Wi-Fi menu. Click to enter
- Click “choose network”
- The thermostat will begin to scan for Wi-Fi networks. Find yours and select it
- Enter your Wi-Fi password into the thermostat
- Now, the unit should connect to the Wi-Fi network and will go back to the Wi-Fi screen. You should see that it has connected to your chosen network
- Once you have completed all of the steps above, you can leave the menu, and you should have a Honeywell Thermostat that is connected to your Wi-Fi network
The T10 Series
- Touch the screen and hit the “menu” button
- Scroll until you find the Wi-Fi menu. Click to enter
- Click “enable” and activate it
The Smart Round Series Thermostat
The best way to reconnect this Wi-Fi network is via the Honeywell Home app.
If you have not downloaded the app, install it on your smartphone or another device, and make an account.
- Once you have set up your account, check out the following steps!
- Open the app
- Tap the “plus” button on the app’s main screen. This will allow you to add new devices
- Find the list of devices and select the one you want
- Click “Go” on the display of the thermostat
- On the app, click “next”
- The name of the thermostat will now appear on your app. Click it, and the Home app and the thermostat should connect
- Once you have completed this step, you will see a prompt that will allow your electronic device and your thermostat to establish a connection with the same network. Tap “next” on your Honeywell Home app
- Now, the connection procedure should begin to happen, and the Wi-Fi network on the thermostat will be the same as your device
- As soon as the connection process is complete, hit “done” which you can find in the app’s top right-hand corner
- You should now have a reestablished Wi-Fi connection with the thermostat!
The Honeywell Lyric Round Series Thermostat
To reconnect to this Wi-Fi network, you need the official Lyric app downloaded on your cellphone or another electronic device.
Follow these steps to reconnect the thermostat to the Wi-Fi network!
- Open your app and click “menu”. You should find it in the left-hand corner
- Click “thermostat name”
- Then, you need to tap “thermostat configuration”
- Now, click “reset Wi-Fi”
- Hold down “weather” on your thermostat. You should do this for about 5 seconds
- Once you have completed the step above, you need to highlight “Wi-Fi”, and click “OK”
- Now, you should be on a different screen. Here, you need to click “setup” and click “ok”
- When the Lyric app gives you the instruction, click “GO” on your Honeywell Thermostat
- Now, the Lyric app should guide you through a simple configuration process to connect the thermostat to your chosen Wi-Fi network.
If you follow these steps, then the Honeywell Thermostat (see also ‘How To Connect A Honeywell Thermostat To Google Home‘) should reconnect to the Wi-Fi.
If these steps have not been successful, then the issue lies elsewhere, and you may need to seek outside help to fix it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know If My Thermostat Is Connected?
Look at the bottom of your thermostat. If there are two small dots, then it means that it is connected.
If there is only one dot, then it means that the thermostat has not yet been connected.
Why Does The Thermostat Say “Not Connected”?
It means that the thermostat’s Wi-Fi is currently disconnected from the internet. The reason why it says this is that you haven’t configured the thermostat to be able to communicate with the internet.
What Should I Do If My Thermostat Says “Connecting…”?
This usually happens when the thermostat is trying to establish a connection to the internet.
Please wait until it finishes connecting to the internet before continuing any further.
How Can I Find My Thermostat Model Number?
You can find out by looking at the back of your thermostat (the model number).
It will say something like HX7000 or HX8500. This is how you know what type of thermostat you have.
Are All Honeywell Thermostats Interchangeable?
Yes, all Honeywell thermostats are interchangeable., but only the “T” series of thermostats.
They use the same technology, but they have different features. For example, some models have an extra feature called “Smart Schedule”, while others don’t.
Can I Use An Old Version Of The App With Newer Thermostats?
Yes, you can use an older version of the app if you want to. However, newer versions of the app are better equipped to handle new devices.
So, if you’re using an old version of the app, then you might experience issues.
How Long Will It Take To Reconnect My Thermostat To The Internet?
The time depends on the speed of your internet service provider.
We recommend that you try to reconnect your thermostat within 10 minutes after disconnecting it from the internet.
Is There Any Way To Check Whether My Honeywell Thermostat Has Been Successfully Configured?
You’ll see whether the thermostat has successfully been configured in the “Device Settings” section of the app.
If it hasn’t, then you can manually configure it.
It can feel a little stressful when you have a Honeywell Thermostat (see also our Honeywell thermostat troubleshooting tips) that will not connect to Wi-Fi.
Until it does, you will not be able to control the thermostat from your smart device.
There are many reasons why your thermostat has lost connection to the Wi-Fi network, but luckily, the ways of fixing it are all very easy.
The first step you should take for all models of your Honeywell Thermostat (see also ‘How To Clear Schedule On Honeywell Thermostat: Series 2000 – 9000 Models‘) is to troubleshoot it and see if this fixes the issue.
If it does not, then you need to follow different step-by-step methods, depending on your thermostat, to reconnect it to your Wi-Fi network.
Luckily, these steps are easy to follow, and you should have a connected thermostat and Wi-Fi network in no time!
If you do not, then the problem lies elsewhere, and you may need to seek outside help to connect the Thermostat to the Wi-Fi network.